Peace, Be Still
It is written,
“And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish? And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?”
I have been thinking about this scriptures lately. Well, if truth be told, I have been obsessing over it. It seems that Jesus, during a storm that his disciples believed might kill them, was fast asleep. When they woke him he simply commanded the wind to cease and the seas to calm and the very elements obeyed him. Not only that, Jesus also chastised his followers for having not faith!
What mentality did this spring from in Jesus? Apparently, he thought that the disciples should have taken care of it themselves and was a bit annoyed that they had even woken him up!
This signifies to me that Jesus walked in a place where whatever He needed, whatever He wanted, was simply done by his Father. It was a given. It was inevitable. To Jesus, it seemed ridiculous that his disciple even bothered him about something so simple.
This says to me that I am walking far below what is actually available in God. It means to me that I do not have to live in the storm of this life but that, through faith in God, I can master it. It means that there is a place in God that anything, literally, that I feel I need I can ask for and it be done unto me.
I began thinking about what it must have been like at other times for Jesus and I remembered this verse,
“Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered. And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away. And when the disciples saw it, they marveled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!”
It seems that Jesus walked in a place with God where literally nothing was impossible. When he felt by the Spirit to curse the fig tree it was simply done. Again, when his disciples needed a coin to pay tribute he said,
“Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee.”
Literally, whatever Jesus needed God would give him no matter how unlikely it was to happen.
Finally, I come to the most important verse,
“Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.”
Right now there are mountains that I need moved in my life. I don’t want to sit here and allow the Devil to beat me and my family up but rather I want to believe God and ask for and receive my deliverance. I suspect that none of what is happening to us has to be this way. I am starting to believe that literally nothing is impossible with God if we simply ask in faith believing. So many times I talk with believers who live in chronic hopelessness that their lives can’t change for the better when these verses that I have just quoted say differently.
David, when about to fight Goliath, remembered how God had slew the lion and the bear through him and declared that this giant would be no different. Likewise, I remember the things that God has done for me,
- I drove over a half finished bridge
- I prayed and asked God to find my fathers pocket knife that he had lost the day before in the midst of a 40 acre field and found it within ten feet!
- I told a radio station manager that I had a message from God to put on air. He looked at me and said, “we have been waiting for you, my wife has been singing “Michael, row the boat ashore for weeks.””
- I stood in the pulpit of a church in a city I had never been to and before I spoke a man stood up and said, “God spoke to me and said, “This is Michael, from just outside of Seattle, listen to him.”
- When horses ran off at a full gallop with my friend I commanded them to halt in Jesus name and they stopped dead in their tracks.
- When I wanted to see a long lost friend I prayed in faith believing and, after no communication for many years, they sought me out!
- When I had no money in my business I installed 5 phones by the word of the Lord and the next month made 250,000 dollars.
- I married the woman I was in love with, whom at the time inconveniently hated me, simply because God said to love her no mater what and I did.
- I have a ministry in Africa simply because I did what was considered impossible and succeeded where everyone else failed through listening, hearing, and obeying on time.
In conclusion, I want to understand how to have this type of faith that Jesus demonstrated all the time. I want to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that when I ask my heavenly Father, in Jesus name, for anything it shall be done to me. The list above shows me that I have briefly touched on this place of faith before but I want to learn how to live their permanently.
I don’t believe that I or anyone else has to live without the divine provision of God. I don’t believe that we have to be victimized by our circumstances when we serve a all powerful King who will give us anything we ask for in Jesus name. I think it is time for me to learn this lesson and live it. I want to triumph and do the things that God puts on my heart no matter how impossible they may seem. I want to be about my Father’s business. No longer am I going to settle for what seems possible when, with God, nothing is impossible. It is time to finally become a son of God and follow the pattern that Jesus demonstrated. I invite all those who seek their deliverance to join me in this quest too. Amen.